Skip to main content

Reply to "Why My Son Will Never Receive One Ounce Of Hitting Instruction!"

Originally Posted by CoachB25:

Baseballthinktank, did your daughter continue to play or has she realized that she can't throw and not play?  If she is not playing, what role in her not receiving instruction to properly throw factors into to that?  If she is playing, has she learned how, on her own through "throw hard" to throw properly? 

Naturally, baseball and softball are two different sports.  However, Baseballthinktank's advice is seriously detrimental to young ladies who want to play softball in college.  While I absolutely disagree with the process, many, if not most, college programs are now having players verbal at 14.  While my daughter had offers at that age, we waited very late in the process with her being 16 for her to verbal.  At that point, we were concerned that she would have opportunities at schools she wanted to attend.  I'd say that the vast majority made comments like, "we have one scholarship remaining and are looking for an exact match to a need for that scholarship."  (Note, typically, that was a 50% offer or less.)  IMO, those players getting those scholarships have been coached early and often in their lives to get them to the point where they are able to verbal and get agreements with schools.  (Yes, I know that those agreements aren't binding until a NLI is signed.)

The reason she's not playing was because I gave her instruction!  Its one of the primary reasons there's a lot of issues with "Dad/Son".  We ask kids to throw the ball but that's not enough- it needs to be done in a manner in which "we" view as pleasing.  

Are you asking me a question or are you talking about your daughter being recruited?  Kinda lost me with the second part.