Skip to main content

Reply to "Why My Son Will Never Receive One Ounce Of Hitting Instruction!"

Originally Posted by Baseballthinktank:
Originally Posted by RJM:
Originally Posted by Baseballthinktank:
Originally Posted by Smitty28:

Ok, you gave your daughter instruction and she no longer plays the game.  Maybe there's cause and effect there, or maybe she just gave up the game because she didn't want to play anymore.  I think it's quite a leap to presume that if you do the opposite (no instruction) your second child will want to continue playing.  It's also possible that years of incorrect technique will be impossible to fix at 13 years old, or will put the kid hopelessly behind his peer group and make getting onto a competitive team at that age very difficult.  I guess you'll find out in 10 or 15 years.  Reminds me a bit of Whole Language though.

Thats not really what I was getting too, but I could see how you would interpret it that way.  One of my points inside the video was the frustration and confusion that is involved with instruction (Pleasing).  

It's setting up kids to fail and frustrating them, or just going overboard that players end up despising the game, IMO.  

As far as the competitive teams, not worried about that at 12 or 13 years old.  

The goal for my son will be to enhance the ability side- the skill side will become a focus once he is older.  Could care less about skill level at 12-15 years old.  

There's a conflict here. One is talking about boys and baseball. One is talking about girls and softball. While age sixteen may not be too late to refine a boy's game for him to get to the next level, it's too late for girls. Girls have often verballed by fifteen years old. Since they physically mature sooner they are recruited sooner. For a boy pitcher waiting until sixteen for refinement may actually save his arm. I could see this logic from a pitching coach.

I would agree with that, don't really know enough about girls softball (That's probably a good thing for all the girls out there!!)  

However, I still believe that ability comes before skill regardless of gender.  

I do warn parents of preteens spending a lot of money on lessons they can't purchase talent for their kids. Some of these kids look fairly slick on the small fields. But eventually don't have the talent and physical capability to compete on a full size field.