Skip to main content

Reply to "Why play in college ?"

I know this thread is over 5 years old, but I can still relate to it (for our 2012 son). At this time, he has no aspirations to try to play pro ball; he wants to get a degree, a job, and settle down w/ a family and not live on the road, etc..

With that goal in mind, my wife would prefer that he doesn't commit 25+ hours per week to playing college varsity baseball (assuming he even can) and instead leave himself more time for academics and for a variety of activities besides just baseball (i.e. multiple intramural or club sports, other clubs perhaps related to his major, parties, XBox, etc.).

So I mentioned this to him last night and asked what he thought. His answer: "But I feel like for my whole life, since I started playing ball before I was 5, it's always been about getting ready for HS, then college baseball. Why would I wanna quit now when I'm so close?".

He also plays varsity basketball and even during baseball seasons, still hits frequently in our home cage. He also hits a couple times per weekend the last couple months of basketball season, in prep for baseball. So he's not afraid of hard work. He's also still an honor student, in the A-/B+ range (hasn't taken SATs yet and I don't know his actual unweighted GPA).

I can see both sides of this. Hope you don't mind me reopening this thread.

Thanks, Mike
Last edited by Sandman