Skip to main content

Reply to "Why you would go pro?"

I advise both HS and College players. I look for the best player I can find and evaluate them by my own set of standards. Remember I am not just looking for kids that will high draft picks I am looking fo kids that will becaome good Major Leaguers. As far my how I advise them in regard to signing if it is HS player I tell the family a couple of things. One pick a good college that you ACCUALLY WANT TO ATTEND. Too many time kids pick a school to get the decision out of the way thinking there is no way they will go there because tey are going to sign. I tell families your mind set should be I am going to college until I call you and tell you we got to the number we decided on BEFORE the Draft. I try as hard as possible to disuade kids from signing out of HS and make them really think about what the are giving up. Before the Draft ever happens I sit with te Family and we decide on a number that it will take to sign. This way when they are drafted and all the excitement and emotions get involved we can come back to center and focus on the hard numbers and the business. As for the HS kids it s very much case by case thing but remember this I can't make that choice. It is up to the parents and the player. I can only advise and give opinions based on 20 years experience in Pro Baseball. Whn you talk about what kind of HS kid is ready I will tell you this. There is more importance on maturity and emotional stability than there is on Physical ability. To be sure some kids have no business in clooege and have no business being there these kids have few choices but to sign. Last year I represented John Danks he was the 9th pick in the country. John is the exception to the rule. He is mature beyond his years and ready to start a career I have few worries about him getting caught up in **** off the field or about being able to handle the stresses of his choosen career. He s an exceptional young man. Conversely I had done contracts for several HS players that I know will have many problems and are not ready I tell them and their families "this is a mistake but I will support you 100% and be there for you when you need me." As ar as whether MLB should draft these kids out of HS they absolutely should. T persons right to choose their path in life should not be infringed upon. I would advise a reaaly good student to go to school the dream will still be there in 3 or 4 years and you will be much better prepared to handle it and give it your best shot. There is no criteria for approval because it is not for me to approve. I would ask a parent to think back to when they were 17 or 18. How many of them were ready to have and manage a career? Now add the pressure of a 6 to 7 figure signing bonus, add the fact there is no stability or family structure, or for that matter any rules. Just show up on time and play hard. Would you be ready for that at 18 or would you be better prepared fr that at 21? There is no wrong or right answer, but it is my moral and ethical duty to give all the facts to families; not just try to sign them and collect commisions. As an Agent you become a business advisor, a father figure, a friend, a coach, marriage counselor,ECT... You have to treat these boys as you would your own. I have 5 children and each is different I treat them each differently but try to guide and advise them with the wisdom I have picked up over the years. I treat my clients the same. I have made many mistakes in my life and learned from them all as I am sure you have. I guess at the end of the day I never want some to say " if I had only known, I wish I did it different" I know this will still happen but I am all about education both on the business of baseball and in the classroom.