Skip to main content

Reply to "Willams College"

So the lack of urgency has not changed.  The HC is a notorious non recruiter; he does not communicate well during the recruiting process and has the assumption (maybe rightly so) that every kid who is looking there would go there over everywhere else.  At one point it was my younger son's top school -- this was a few years ago.  He already had several offers in hand, but it took 2 other NESCAC offers to push the HC into action.

He was in the dugout at HF when son did very well, and had lots of guys coming up to him.  He in person invited son to his camp (that was not advertised, not on any website, and was of course the same exact time as Amherst and Middlebury camps that same September weekend).  HC told son he needed another look and wanted him to see the campus.  We almost did not go as he pulled his groin Labor Day weekend playing in a hockey tournament.  There were 40 boys there, almost all rising seniors, almost all hoping for an offer from the parents with whom I remember speaking.  It was a one day thing.  Mine was looked at as a two way guy.  I am sorry if this comes off as braggy but he was the best hitter and pitcher there.  By far.  First AB he lined one down the left field line (he is a lefty btw) for a double to score two runs.  Second AB he had a double in the RCF wall.  He pitched 2 innings though his arm was sore and struck out 5 of 6, with a ground out that he fielded for the other out.   We had friends there with us, and we all knew he was getting an offer.  HC put his arm around him at one point.  Older son had two friends on the current team who texted similar news.

It still took over a week after that.  Maybe even 2.  We thought they went "dark" like other schools did during the June - October timeline.  

But by then my son was concerned with the size of the school, the field itself, the slowness of communication, the weather and a few other social issues.  

The field is a mile away, the furthest of the sports fields.  It is nice enough but the stands at most HS stadiums are better, and given it is not on campus, do not expect many students to drop or pass by.  Other NESCACs have built winterized batting cages, turf fields etc so likely this is on the agenda for Williams given their high endowment.  

HC is married to one of the women coaches (maybe field hockey) and he is not going anywhere.  He did seem like a good guy, but everyone agreed during our time that he was just not a good recruiter.  

It is of course a fantastic school.  Many kids prefer Williams over some of the Ivies -- one of the toughest schools in the country to get in of course.  But you know this part.  

PM me if you have any other questions, our best friends have sent 2 kids there and we have known several boys on the team.