Skip to main content

Reply to "Window post Showball and Headfirst"

The part that seems most different to me in 2020 is that in a normal year, a lot of coaches want players to come to school camps after HF or SB.  HF and SB lead to serious email and text exchanges (you can tell when you are getting more than form camp invites), but generally coaches wanted my son to come to their camps.  (This is tough if, like my son, you are in a different region of the country than most of the schools you are targeting.  There are only so many plane tickets you can buy, days of HS you can miss, etc.) 

Also, it seemed to me that a significant part of camps was for a recruit to show a school that he was serious about them.  (E.g., one NESCAC school...  My son did a campus visit right after SB in July, met with the coach for over an hour and got a personal tour.  They asked him to come to their camp, which was a few weeks later.  But we already had tickets/plans for a family vacation in another country that weekend.  Son explained this to the coach, but interest just stopped after he missed camp--I assume because they used camp to settle on other choices.)  This year, of course, camps aren't generally going to be an option.  So I don't know how things will play out...

I can't stress enough that you shouldn't assume your son's experience will follow the same pattern as others (especially this year).  The typical, general path is the same, but there are many twists and turns.  Cast a broad net, follow up with any school you might potentially be interested in, and don't take anything for granted until you have an actual firm offer (not just "we really like you and you cleared the pre-read").