Skip to main content

Reply to "Winning, losing and building a program"

hsbaseball101 posted:

It's hard to win in high school unless you break nearly all the rules.  In CIF-SS, we aren't allowed to directly "recruit" anyone.  Even trying to convince one of our students to try out for baseball is a violation.  You can passively tell someone that tryouts begin when and where.  You can't go up to a kid every day and tell him he should join the baseball team.  I drive around other high schools and see kids practicing baseball when official practice doesn't even start for another 3 months.  And those are schools with winning cultures while the losing culture schools would have 3 players show up for practice.  So you basically have to move mountains.  I think winning coaches fail much more than they succeed when they try to take on a losing team.  

So if you have a stud athlete in your 3rd period class that you've got to know over the school year or semester it's a violation to look at him and say "hey man you should try out for baseball - I think I turn you into a great shortstop"?  That's crazy and just an illustration of how out of touch state associations are with the realities of dealing with kids.