Skip to main content

Reply to "Winning pitcher"

It's the pitcher of record at the time the last go ahead run scores, or who is the pitcher of record when the team that ultimately wins the game goes ahead for the last time. Every time there is a tie, you reset the W/L pitcher to those that are pitchers of record at the time.

So, if B finishes the 6th behind, the visiting team scores a ton of runs and goes ahead for the last time, then B is the pitcher of record when the winning team goes ahead for the last time.

If C comes in and gets the last out in the 6th, then he would've been the pitcher of record when the winning team went ahead.

The traditional scoring would be that B is the winner and C gets a save. The only caveat is that the official scorer could rule his appearance as 'ineffective' because he gave up 6 runs in an inning and give the win to C, who was more effective.

In the case of my son's game, I'd probably give him the win and the closer the save. The scorer chose to give it to the starter, even though that isn't the correct thing to do. I think when you throw two good innings before the bad one, you've done your bit. But I'm his dad.

Bottom line, there is some wiggle room for the scorer in these situations however its rarely taken. Usually, its the pitcher of record at the time the go ahead run is scored, no matter how bad that guy was.