Skip to main content

Reply to "Winter sport"

@Qhead posted:

I suspect most here would disagree, but I say play basketball.  You only get HS once, it is a great sport with different types of movements and muscle groups used v. baseball, and training for baseball in the winter is boring v. live hoops game with fans!!  Let's just hope they have a season!!

My son was a DII commit and played basketball his Senior year.  I don't think his coach knew or cared - and I think he would have encouraged it in any event.  I will tell you one thing - one of the most cherished memories I will ever have was when my son hit a game winning basket to beat a conference rival.  As much as I love baseball, I think I enjoyed watching him play basketball more, likely because it was his "second" sport where he could just enjoy it and have fun without pressures of recruiting.  I'd want that for any kid.

When basketball ends, take a week off then start back up with baseball.

+1million!

My son played basketball and loved every minute of it.  It was just fun.  Like you I love baseball, but watching him play hoops was the best of all.

In my opinion playing other sports only makes you a better athlete.  When basketball was over my son was in far better shape than any baseball training.  He used to run circles around the guys who were in baseball year round.  Your body needs a break, its best to develop other muscles/skills and move your body in different ways.  Baseball as we all know is so repetitive. 

A teammate of my sons two years ahead of him was a top D1 pitching commit to a big time program.  The coaches there encouraged him to continue playing hoops even though he was committed to them for baseball.  Sadly, he's now had two TJ surgeries and his baseball career is done.

So long story short I would highly encourage him to continue playing basketball while he can.  In college my son rolled his ankle playing pickup with the basketball team (he has a history of them), baseball coach pulled him aside and told him, hey, no more basketball for now on ok.