Skip to main content

Reply to "With all the talk of pitch counts . . ."

quote:
I agree with just about everything you've said. Yes, there are a lot of variables, and they are mostly subjective. It is hard to pinpoint anything. However, in a somewhat controlled environment a pitch count gives you a metric, and possibly starting point. It is not the end all be all, but it is at the very least something to consider using numbers as an evaluation coupled with common sense and experience.

This is recently the most clear and concise post regarding the role of pitch counts I've read. It acknowledges the limitations on relying on one tool to treat the symptoms of an injury that is the result of a variety of overuse factors. While at the same time defends the method for having some value in the fight. I can respect a well thought out opinion such as this as compared to the tactic of scaring someone into compliance with the threat of not being able to perform day to day activities like brushing your teeth.

What I can't hack is the duplicity of parents vilifying coaches for exceeding pitch counts when they arguably place their son's arms at greater risk by permitting multiple showcases, college camps, private pitching lessons, year round play without effective rest, select travel team and tournament play, high school practice and competition at various positions and college visits with pitching bullpens for coaches. Every one of these parents is hoping that the kid's arm holds out just long enough to sign a letter of intent and then we can go from there. I've been through to grinder.

The driving force behind it all being, a roster spot on a college team with it's associated scholarship money. Which if parents are honest could have been saved easily given all the money invested in the recruiting buildup and process. All when an academic scholarship would be much more appropriate and in many instances easier to obtain.

I really see high school coaches being held hostage over this issue and for what? Looking at most college pitching staffs, they rely heavily on three to five pitchers and then there are the role players. If you are good in college the abuse is going to come or if you are not good and (there are a lot of college pitchers who are not good participating in college programs that are not good) your talent will be exposed and the arm you saved will never get used.

You develop your later opportunities by creating a resume. That means pitching in important games, garnering pitching accolades, impressing recruiters with your toughness and makeup. College coaches don't primarily consider the health of your arm....they consider if you can help them win now. So I just see the whole thing as putting off the inevitable if you are good and passing up opportunity you will never get again if you are marginal.

Let's just leave the elite pro prospect pitcher out of this completely. He is a completely different animal with considerations only lottery winners ever have to face.

The average high school pitcher ought to seize the moment and let the chips fall where they may. 99.9% of the things we worry about happening never come to be. The other .1% can be dealt with.