Skip to main content

Reply to "Workouts for players always "in season""

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

A lot talk about multi-sport athletes.  So you have a kid who is always in season for his sport.  But the kids who aren't start "unofficial" workouts -- lifting, speed training, long toss, etc.  I have also read some commentary about out of season work (building) and in season work (maintenance).  So what do you do with a kid who plays multiple sports?

Specifically, the kid right now is playing basketball 6 days/week - 2-3 hrs. each day.  He is not permitted by rule to join the baseball players in their off season workouts.  So I am looking for ideas for at home workouts 2-3 times per week, after practice, to get him ready/stronger for the season.  He has the basic equipment available -- bands, dumbells, bench, etc.  Right now I am overwhelmed and confused.  Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

Wow.  That is a lot of involvement for basketball.  Sounds like he should be in great shape for baseball.  If he were my son I would encourage long toss 3 times a week and hitting off of a tee daily until baseball season started.  Other than that I would be afraid of him overexerting himself.

My son is the starting QB for Varsity so his arm was in good shape once he started long tossing 2 weeks ago.  He does his long toss on the turf football field to gauge distance and avoid mud when the field is wet.

Last edited by lionbaseball