Skip to main content

Reply to "Worth switching for?"

It’s tough, let me tell you. There are great coaches out there who parents love to see their kids with because the coaches are professional and approachable, and sometimes those coaches attract highly competitive players, I know that was our case. Unfortunately, as in your situation, in the high school years families will see other kids getting recruiting action in other clubs and figure that is where they need to be. So does everyone else and often times it doesn’t work out. That is the nature of club baseball and the recruiting process. Perhaps the new coaches don’t encourage questions because they are great recruiters but do not know the game as thoroughly? We’ve all seen teams that win win win because they just have more talent, and the coaching is t really a factor.

As a sophomore and long-time player of the game, at this point you need to be aligning yourself with the program you think will promote your son to colleges and who have either played collegiately or professionally and have the network associated with that. They will be the most helpful in promoting your son to the proper coaches at the college level. I know in my area, we have an organization that is simply unmatched in developing younger players, who seem to lose them once they hit high school for the “shiny object” teams. These “shiny object” teams are larger organizations that string along a majority of their players at the expense of funding a top level team that the players don’t pay to participate on (everyone else pays for them through their dues). Shiny object team is why everyone wants to play their, because those players are all committed to colleges and/or draft prospects. Truth be told, the main coaches of shiny object team never played professionally or even at 4-year universities, they just are able to recruit these top guys because they ride for free.

At this point, find someone you trust with real baseball credentials and who will help you with introductions to college programs. Stick with them and develop a bond so they want to help your son.