Skip to main content

Reply to "Worth switching for?"

PABaseball posted:

At this point your son is not old enough or mature enough to choose a team on his own. You need to make the decision for him. I will catch some heat for that but as long as you are paying for it and unless you have never played/have no idea how baseball works then it is your call. Kids think about how much they like something not what certain programs offer, what others don't, how much they travel, cost, etc. 

That being said this is around the age where development tapers off and coaches start coaching to win with what they have and putting players in a position to be recruited. Most guys have their own hitting/pitching coaches at this point and it really isn't worth it for these guys to get involved in your son's approach. Plus they can charge on their own for private lessons. 

I will go as far to say Team A is bad for your son. You don't need to be the best player on the team. A weak roster means nobody is challenging him, a weak schedule means he isn't seeing quality competition regularly. As a parent you need to put your kid in a position where he is uncomfortable and has to perform - even if it results in failure as he will learn. Quality reps and competition against superior competition is just as important as having quality coaches who care. I don't know if team B is the answer, maybe you can find another solid team with more personality but Team A will just hold him back as a player and competitor. Stick with Team B until a better opportunity comes up. 

I agree.  As a HS Freshman, our Team A was made up of 2013/2014 players (75/25), while our Team B, was (25/75),  we went to 75% of the same tournaments.  Team A would mostly get to the Semis and Finals, whereas Team B would go to 80% of the time go to semis.  Team B issue was not have enough pitching, but we had the better athletes.  Looking forward, Team B had better success with college placement and MLB prospects. 

Thus Team B players got quality reps because they were play at level or up a level or 2, whereas Team A was mostly playing at level or below.