Skip to main content

Reply to "Worth the Drive?"

That drive is an extra hour per week of alone time with your son. You might not think of that time as precious right now, but I bet you will in a few years. If it were me I'd tell him that it's 100% his decision, and that I could not possibly care less about the drive.

THIS!!!!  My son played an hour away when he started as a 9 year old.  Only one practice a week during the winter (on Sunday), but it was great.  His mom and I would actually fight over who got to take him because we both just enjoyed the quiet 2 hours on the road with him. 

What are your son's goals for playing after HS?   As a 2025 he needs to be playing for a team that is well coached and can develop him as a player and person....but also that either 1) will play tourneys where he can be seen or 2) a team that has good connections to colleges...and at least plays in competitive tourneys.  It seems early for a 2025 but at this point, it's never too early to start being seen....especially if his skill level is above average compared to other kids his age.   Playing travel ball tourneys in some small town with one local D3 coach watching won't help him get to the next level....unless of course he wants to play for the local D3 school