Skip to main content

Reply to "Worth the Drive?"

@Momball11 posted:

I've gotten a bit cynical myself. They say college camps are the best option. My son has gone to two D1 camps at different schools and they were about the same price. First school's camp was two days, limited participants, with coaches/players providing instruction/feedback. Second school's camp was one day, unlimited participants, with coaches taking notes (no feedback) and athletic department majors operating the equipment at stations. I have no idea how the second school's coaches could get a feel for any of the participants...it definitely felt like it was designed to bring in money more than anything. They always advertise how many of their current players had attended one of the camps, but I'm pretty sure these players were not "discovered" at a camp.

So, this is really worthy of a different thread.  But, who says that "college camps are the best option"?  On this site, most agree that college camps are mainly worth it for recruiting if you have been personally invited by the coach (not in a "personalized" email, but in a call to your travel coach or someone like that).  That's how they can advertise that current players attended camps.

It can be different for levels below D1 with smaller recruiting budgets, where camps can make a difference, but even they often cast a much wider net than just their camps.