Skip to main content

Reply to "Would You ?"

quote:
Originally posted by TripleDad:
With the new rules in place. Would you advise your son to accept an offer to be a recruited walk-on with the understanding that he has to try out in the fall for a spot on the team. Lets say you know there are 12 "recruited walk-ons" to fill 2 roster spots.
Lets assume the offer is from his dream DI and he has offers of 25% at schools that are further down on the list.

What would you do?

I am not sure anymore what we would do, though I strongly beleive that you should never settle for something that you really don't want.

If this is the school your son has dreamed of earning his degree and playing for the baseball team all of his life, I would advise him of the situation keeping in mind his options if he does not make the team.
He needs to decide which is more important. There are no guarantees even with 25%, but chances are more likely that there is a roster spot avaialable for him come spring, he just has to prove himself for a starting position.

I'd sit down and make a list of positives and negatives and discuss each one, sometimes that helps to make things clearer to what is really important, what one is really looking for, for both player and his folks.

Good luck. Smile