Skip to main content

Reply to "Wow!"

I know I have laid this story out here before but here goes:

Going back to 2005 my youngest son starts with 9U travel ball.  Had older sons so I had been exposed to the James Andrews thoughts on pitching that even back then said cap at 70 per week for under 12.

1st tournament final game - my son starts - I am stats/pitch count guy.  By 3rd my son is reaching 50 - we warmup next kid and move on.  Being thorough I am tracking the other teams pitch count.  Long story short we use 3 pitchers and they use one.  We lose the game by a run or two - but what I remember was the 127 pitches the 9 year old threw on a 47 degree mid October afternoon that was probably closer to 40 by 4PM.

After game hand shakes and I come up to the kid and say "nice game - I hope you make it to 10U"  Nearly started a riot - his Dad was the next one in line and heard me say it.  After some jawboning we moved on.  

What happened ---- kid had arm surgery before 11U. 

Not the end of story though.  At 12U our Head Coach was sitting on his bucket at a tournament between games.  An old man had watched us play and had seen us a number of times before came over to complement him on our teams style and discipline.  Coach thanks him and says - you have someone here?  He says yes and points to his grandson.  Turns out it is the kid from 9U - Coach says - Oh I remember him and he is a great player.  Goes on to tell the 9U story to the grand dad including our stance on pitch count.  The grand dad starts crying and says - God I wish we had turned him over to you guys - he'd still be able to throw.  

We never felt better about never having presided over an arm injury to a youth player over 6 seasons of coaching kids less than 13 years old.  There may have been some luck but we never pushed it. 

We surely could have won more games - but we never lost an arm - worth it.