Skip to main content

Reply to "Wow - Astros penalty is out"

RJM posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
RJM posted:

Roenicke will not be the manager next year. He’s been officially named as an interim. It would be hard at this point for Bloom to find the candidates he really wants. An interim manager buys him a year. Plus, the team isn’t having a stranger thrown at them the week spring training starts.

I admit I'm surprised you don't see troubled by this, RJM.  I think I recall you mentioning a few weeks ago that you thought Roenicke was a good candidate to replace Cora (?).  I can understand that you might like Roenicke as a coach.  But if we assume the Red Sox are about to be penalized for using electronic means to steal signs, how can they promote the guy who was bench coach while those infractions were going on?  I'm not suggesting Roenicke ought to be forever banned from managing again (though depending on what the facts show, I'm not saying he shouldn't either).  But he shouldn't manage in Boston in the same year they are (presumably) going to face sanctions for violations that seem to have happened right in front of Roenicke in the 2018 Sox dugout.

As for getting a new manager right before spring training:  The Astros were in the same boat--one of the after effects of cheating.  For the Red Sox to complain that they don't want the disruption of an outside manager hired in February is a bit like the proverbial defendant who murdered both his parents then asked the court for mercy because he was an orphan.