Skip to main content

Reply to "WWBA"

Backpick25 posted:
Steve A. posted:
Backpick25 posted:

My 2018 had been looking toward his first PG event, a chance to go up against some great competition from across the country. He performed as well as he could, given the unusual circumstances.

He hit a couple bombs at HS fields in the middle of nowhere, met a fellow commit and  future battery mate......... drummroll...... got to pitch at LP, velo was down a bit, complained about the mound and his footing as the turf kept moving around. He eventually done a front flip as the turf came unraveled, game was stopped until a repair was made. He sustained a bruised knee and a pulled muscle in the tumble.

Pitching at LP only solidified his decision in committing to a program that has dirt/grass......he hates playing on turf!

My intention is not to pile on, but one's perspective and where they come from can be the difference in what is perceived normal or extreme circumstances. The WWBA is a memory now....................good, bad, indifferent, he's already looking toward his next opportunity to play the game.

We were just there for the 14U WWBA last week. The turf mounds were awful. There was a 3" hole right in the center of the rubber where if you are a RH pitcher & you throw from 3B side of rubber, your heel would literally be 3" below your toe. You cant fill it in or adjust it as all you have are the little rubber pellets & they don't pack. Everyone must then throw from the middle of the rubber. In addition, the landing spot is one common area with a large indentation. If your stride does not fit here, hang with em because you cant dig one out or repack a spot. so you land with an awkward plant on uneven ground if your stride is not common. In short, it was a disaster, unsafe, unprofessional & extremely disappointing given the $$ spent to play there. Add some moisture & it is gas on the fire. Some of our guys seemed to be OK dealing with it & several really struggled & were simply not themselves.

He is a RHP that throws from the 3rd base side of the rubber. As a 17yr old, he used other words to describe it. Yes, add in moisture he was sliding. He was 90-92 two weeks before and with adaptation for conditions and a poorly maintained mound, 88. He was disappointed that he really couldn't show his stuff............not that anyone was around at 1am.

Identical experience here, my friend. Identical with several of ours & I am sure we are not alone.