Skip to main content

Reply to "Yearly Thoughts........."

piaa_ump: The one thing that I believe in SO STRONGLY is the idea of divine providence. Yes, you were put where you were supposed to be, and yes, OF COURSE you did the right thing in reporting it, and yes, you are supposed to remind us of this boy, who represents so many, every year. Thank you. I wasn't around last year, so I would not have known about it.

It takes courage to report abuse. You are an angel and a hero, like CD said.

May I remind us all that child abuse, taking many forms, is all around us. We just have to listen and look, and be attuned to our little voices that say, "This doesn't seem right."

Last year, in my "calling" as a substitute teacher in a junior high school, I overheard a 12 year old girl telling some girls about her uncle "abusing" her. Red flag...I notified the school social worker who talked to her and her friends, and then she made the call to the authorities. I had to speak to the police and possibly testify....was it awkward? Yes. Was it the right thing to do? Absolutely. Will I do it again? I hope I never have to, but of course I will. We must.

Sadly, child abuse is everywhere. In every community. We must do everything we can to stop it.

This should go to the Golden Threads forum, but piaa_ump, please write it each year. All of them should go to the Golden Threads forum. Because children are "golden threads," weaving in and out of our lives...
Last edited by play baseball