Skip to main content

Reply to "Yearly Thoughts........."

piaa_ump:

Great story: Of course you did the right thing. In 1980 when I graduated from law school, I went into practice for myself. I got appointed to child neglect/abuse cases, at first having to represent the abusers. I got to know the social workers that dealt with the aftermath of that neglect and abuse and they asked the Chief Judge in my 4 county circuit to appont me to represent the children. He began to appoint me to every case as the Guardian ad litem for the children.

Although it may be difficult to understand, after the legal minstrations were concluded when these children were finally permanently taken from their abusive parents, it was almost always a heart wrenching experience. They did not want to leave. But I felt it was my job to follow up on those children when they were placed into their "new home" with their "new family." And I did.

Although the system is not perfect piaa_ump, I assure you from personal experience that that child is in a far better place and has the chance to be a far better person for it. Thank you.