Skip to main content

Reply to "Yips are gone"

TPM posted:
Jim T. posted:
TPM posted:
Jim T. posted:

Just thought I'd share some good news and offer perhaps a little encouragement to anyone who is struggling with the Yips.  My son had nearly ended his career due to the Yips but has gotten through it albeit not without tremendous emotional pain.  Much of it was completely unnecessary.  

One of several observations I made while he struggled with it is how many people in baseball have it from time to time.  Nearly every teammate or former player who talked to him had beaten it but yet we mostly hear about the negative outcomes as you search for a cure.  Given that it is so commonplace in baseball, I'm puzzled why coaches at the collegiate and professional levels are more in tune with helping the player get through it.  

That said, anyone who may be struggling with this should know that the Yips are very beatable.  Hearing the number of success stories along with help from friends in specific drills was the key.  Feel free to reach out if you know someone struggling with this.  If we can help someone else, it would be a pleasure to give back as so many helped my son.  

Most of the time a true case of yips in baseball proceeds an injury. It usually takes a well trained coach to recognize symptoms, then he tries to figure out the cause. In many cases it gets out of control so then counseling prescribed.  

JMO

I disagree with the use of the term "most of the time".  There are triggers that can include an injury but there's almost always underlying stress or pressures that eventually manifests itself into the Yips.  In every case or story we've encountered, not a single one was proceeded by an injury. 

How many have you encountered. True yips in any sport is usually incurable, perhaps they may have just hit a slump.

I am still going with the injury theory, I did mean for pitchers.

Then your definition of "True Yips" are the Yips which have not been successfully addressed.  You are old school.  I can tell you my friend is a MLB rehab coach and it's something he sees everyday.  Too many unfortunate souls get caught up believing nonsense like you stated.  True Yips or whatever you call are formed in your imagination and they can indeed be cured.  The coach who helped my son also helped dozens and dozens of players.  You don't know what you're talking about and you shouldn't tell people it's "incurable".  I doubt you'll accept your wrong though.  I've seen plenty of your posts to know that.