Skip to main content

Reply to "Yips are gone"

@Nikki posted:

My son is a 2024 Catcher.  This started a couple of weeks ago with a few overthrows to first and has spiraled into all of his throws.  He can get it there if he lobs it, but has lost the ability to throw hard and accurate.  Throwing from his knees helps.  How did the sports psychologist work out?  I have heard positives and negatives on that--I do not mind spending the money--but many of the posts say that didn't help.  I think we will try the drills first.

I am a mom with no athletic ability--so can you please describe the drills to me (backspin drill, facing target with feet planted, rocker drills).  Thanks!

The throws to first is the same thing that got my son off track. The way my son explains it is he can't feel the ball in his hand when it's acting up. Having mental tools and different drills to get him back on track (at least partially) will be helpful. 

Honestly, the psychologist was kind of a waste. I think it helped from a mental standpoint as it gave him someone to talk to, but it didn't help with the results. As others have mentioned, talking about it openly with his team and coaches will help the most from a mental standpoint. It's a weird thing where people avoid talking about it, yet everyone can see what's happening. Make sure he knows it is VERY common. One of the guys my son hit with a few weeks ago said he started cracking jokes about it and his team loosened up and relieved stress on everyone. He said on a drop third to end the game he rolled the ball to first to get the out!

Here is the backspin drill. This will help him get the feel for releasing the ball out front again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP7sXH8z_Sc

Can't find a link/video for this drill, but he faces the target and gets in an athletic position. Then basically turns his torso to make a regular throw while keeping his feet planted. He can flex his knees and hips as needed. The key here for my son is to get his glove hand fully extended to the target to make sure his shoulders get lined up properly.

Rocker drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8NhAWrOig

Another thing that helped him get the feel to be able to play catch with me again (it was really bad, I mean he wouldn't have been able to hit water if he fell out of a boat) was throwing with a 3 oz ball. He started very slow with it just to get the feel for the ball in his hand again. Then we switched to a regular ball and it was instant success. I'll never forget the smile on his face when he let it rip and right to me. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about this. It is painful as a parent to watch your kid agonize over a game they love to play. This has been going on with my son for 4 months. This weekend he caught 2 games, threw out 3 runners, made some great throws to 1st, and got all but one throw back to the pitcher.