Skip to main content

Reply to "Yips are gone"

I've never thought of our experience as the yips.  We were playing in Florida in a big world series when middle son on his 12th birthday went from being one of the best in the tournament to not being able to throw to home plate.  We were in semis and I had been able to save him.  He had pitched earlier in the week and played first fine.  That day he could not get the ball to home plate with any power.  He hit a shot to the fence and could not even get to second running.  We ended up losing and I showed my butt.  I thought he was just frustrated he had to play on his birthday and we had not bought the bike he wanted because of the tournament.  His buddies were playing in a different world series at home.  Since he had not pitched a complete inning and me still thinking it was attitude not physical we drove home.  They were in finals of a world series.  He thought he could pitch and everything would be okay.  I told the coach about what had happened and he said he'll be fine.  he got on the mound to warm-up and could not get the ball to home plate.  Started crying on the mound.  We pulled him before he ever threw a game pitch.  Went straight to the doctor.  They did an exam and found nothing wrong.  He said I think he is having a growth spurt but if not we need to do some test.  Give it a week or so.  The next day we were going somewhere and he went to put on  his new shoes that we had bought the week before.  Would not fit.  Over the next couple of weeks he grew as you were watching almost.  Grew 6 inches in 4 months and went up 4 shoe sizes.  Hurt all the time.  The pitching came back better than ever.  Never thought of it being the yips because to me the yips are a mental ability to throw, not physical but we learn new things all the time.