Skip to main content

Reply to "Yips are gone"

We did just about every possible drill or routine imaginable. Based on what you described, maybe take her to a racquetball court and just have her throw it against the wall. Let her feel what it is like to throw again without worrying where it is going. Then you can start giving targets on the wall.

Another thing that gave instant results but wasn't a cure was throwing with the lightest Driveline ball. Started slow and then added velo when he was comfortable. When he picked up a regular ball he could throw it anywhere he wanted. 

What seems to have helped the most is his warm up routine his catching coach gave him. He starts both feet and shoulders facing the target about 15-20' apart and just works on kind of flipping the ball and really feeling the ball and backspin. Then he'll go into almost like a rocker throw but feet and shoulders still facing the target from about 30'. Then he'll finally go into a rocker throw at 45-50'. Once he gets into regular throws he does an exaggerated step in with his right foot which really forces the left side to swing around and close. He'll do this out to 90' and then it is smooth sailing. I think the reason this works is it forces his body into position to make a throw rather than constantly thinking about his mechanics.

@PitchingFan posted:

What do you guys think worked the best for your kids?  Softball player who plays third developed yips and can't play catch much less throw to first.  Bounces it or air mails it.  Was going to take off this fall but is junior and highly recruited.  Coaches want to see her play even though she can't throw good.  They even moved her to second and she still could not throw accurately.  I suggested taking a little time off and hope she cleared her head as most I read seems to think it is mental if not an injury.  Thoughts?  The sad part is for her it is only about 40 feet and second was 20 feet.  She started crying a little while back it was so bad.  Told her dad I don't want to play this game.  His response was to make her throw until it fixed itself and made her arm sore. 

PitchingFan:  My son is a catcher.  He originally had problems throwing to first and then it became an inability to even throw back to the pitcher.  This started early June.  We have played several tournaments at this point and have not had another weird throw during a tournament since July--however, he has lost some confidence and some speed, he still has an off throw if he needs to throw it around and his throws back to the pitcher are "so-so"--you can tell he is thinking about it, but he gets it there.  We just played a Perfect Game tournament and he threw great when it counted.    One thing (which I believe came from TerribleBPThrower's son) was to go to a baseball field and throw to the pitcher blindfolded--this really helped him get a feel for the ball and realize that his body knows how to do this.  He has also spent A LOT of extra time throwing with his dad, doing drills, weighted balls, etc. 

Another thing that I believe was extremely helpful was I let him take a look at some of the comments on this thread--my purpose was --this happens to A LOT of people and A LOT of people have struggled with it and overcome it.  It is not always career ending.  You can work through it and overcome it.  Unfortunately, when you first Google this--pretty much the Sports Psychologist ads come up and make it sounds like they have the only "cure" and it may be career ending.  I agree that there is a mental/emotional component--but I think that immediately going to a psychologist may magnify that aspect instead of reducing it.  I will say that after throwing pretty well for several weeks, my son had his first baseball workout at a new school.  He was extremely nervous and as a result, he did not throw well during warm-up...even had a senior yell--"we are in high school, you have to be able to throw at this level".  My son was ticked.  However, now the high school coach and team are aware of what is going on...their awareness seems to help my son...he has nothing to hide because they know.  He went back to the next practice with a chip on his shoulder and threw extremely well.   One other thing that helps is he is hitting really well.  His take on this--he is working through it.   There has also been some positive character building in my son as a result.  It has brought some humility and recognition of how to be intentional about help others when they are struggling.