Skip to main content

Reply to "You don't have to be that good to get a scholarship..."

quote:
Originally posted by FormerObserver:
quote:
I've seen situations where a kid received an "offer" from a school where the HS coach knew the college coach and a 10% offer was made to an out of state school. Both coaches knew it wouldn't work for the family, but both guys had done what they thought they had to do to make everyone happy.HS coach covers his bases with the family...college coach does his buddy a soild by offering.
Then again, some 10% offers are signed immediately since mom and dad don't need the financial help and the scholarship "offer" was all that was required to satisfy them. The papers still report the signing of the LOI regardless of the award.

quote:
Parents are always amazed at the huge number of kids who can play the game well at showcase tournaments. They often ignore the fact that coaches in attendance normally arrive with an idea of who they are there to see, and receive further intelligence when they get there. Trying to stand out in the crowd on your own can be pretty tough in most instances.

So true, rbinaz...............................

PG I agree. However, I do think there are circumstances where two players of equal abilities and academic aptitude can experience different responses from schools due to other factors:

1) The reputation and profile-level of his high school team.
2) Whether he has been active in the showcase and camp circuit.

Ultimately talent wins out in the end.

However, all players aren't lucky enough to have discovered resources such as Bob's recruiting timeline and learned of the importance of events such as PG until later in the game.