Skip to main content

Reply to "You don't have to be that good to get a scholarship..."

MT07LHP,

Actually MT07LHP, I didn't read your post very well and popped off sooner than I should have.

I missed this very important point....

"Still learning about the whole recruiting process "

We all are, though.

If you are just starting out, my "that they knew and whose opinion they valued" quote didn't mean very much to you.

I should have considered your perspective more when I answered and maybe I shouldn't have answered at all.

First when you are just starting out, the attention of a professional scout seems very, very far away.

But,like every other profession, there are various levels of scouts. I think there is a nice article about the scouting profession on the main part of the website under articles that will increase your understanding about how scouting works.

My response may have been somewhat tainted by a raging debate in another thread about high school coaches credibility with college coaches. I think it works the same way with scouts or any "reference", if you will.
Make a few references that don't work out for someone or your evaluation skills don't pan out, then credibility becomes an issue and the value of the opinion declines.

So, that's why I put that emphasized quote in my response.

To add just a little more. Scouting is very subjective and scouts are not always looking for the same skill set. There is also a good article on the home page about what scouts look for in players by position.

Just because a person is a MLB scout does not mean that they are at a level where every college coach would take their word for a player sight unseen.

That is not bad news. That is good news. It mean that your son will have multiple opportunities to show what he can do. So, if he does not do well in a particular opportunity, there will be other chances.

I believe it is relatively rare that players are taken on a reference sight unseen with no cross checks or questions.