Skip to main content

Reply to "YOU make the call...."

quote:
Originally posted by Matt13:
What kinds of information are not being passed on?

Not often, but there are times on plays that happen on the field that as a scorer I’m not told why something took place. But subs are the worst! Coring at a HS game is a far cry from a ML game where the scorers have spotters, and are given ever change, no matter how minor. It’s a very strange event when an umpire gives me defensive changes.

This may be only my perception, but it seems that every year it becomes more and more difficult to get a count from the umpire. It wouldn’t be such a big deal, but some of them make it difficult to know what they called for someone directly behind them. Most of the time I try to pick up the “finger” indication, but again, some of them don’t raise the fingers high enough to see.

Now I’m not saying what they’re doing isn’t very plain to the players! But that’s not me, sitting behind the backstop, usually at ground level, with several people gabbing about everything from their son’s great swing or terrific change-up, to their daughter’s first period or their next door neighbor’s affair with pool cleaner.

If you’re an ump, and I assume you are, if you do HS games, when’s the last time you made sure the official scorer had his/her own copies of both lineups, before the game? A lot of that’s on coaches, but the umpires could make whole thing one heck of a lot easier. Maybe HS umpires think every book is kept in the dugout, so if they give changes to the coaches they’ve met their obligation.

I don’t know what it is, but it sure bothers me when I’m the OSK and have to hunt down lineups and changes, then get e-mails or phone calls because I missed getting some kids double in the paper, or his name was spelled wrong.