Skip to main content

Reply to "Young 12 year old prospect"

quote:
Don't give the stickinthemuds any mind, many of us know the level of youth travelball player you're speaking of. Using the term "prospect" or "12U stud" probably isn't the best term, it will always draw their ire.

Here's my .02, my youngest was a 13 last year, & again very dominant for his age. Back before the national age change, he played on the same team with several same grade, but much later birthdays; ie, May & June's of the following year. This was very commonplace. After the age change, nearly all of the dominant local AAA-Major players of my youngest son's age were all the "old" ones with birthdays from May through September.

Today, both of these 8th graders are 5-2 to 5-4 & I'd bet neither weighs more than 115lbs.

Good point there journey2. What could a stick in the mud like me know about the prospects and studs, and all that means in the world of baseball, because your sons are playing travel ball at ages 12/13? What could my son possibly have experienced by the time he retired at age 27 that you and your son's haven't by age 12/13?
What could our son possibly have experienced in baseball now that he is returning to coach in a DI program while obtaining his Masters in coaching?
What could we possibly know about the game?
What could we possibly know about the challenges, the experience and the quality of play that exists when the pyramid of talent gets to the top, begins to equalize, and travel ball means nothing?
Excuse me. Enjoy your view of "reality."