Skip to main content

Reply to "Your barrel is supposed to work around the ball"

Francis7 posted:

All I can add is that I said that your barrel is supposed to follow through the ball. And, they said I was wrong and that it's supposed to work around it

If I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'm guessing that he's talking about not casting. When you cast, your shoulders are rotating early, the hands get out away from the body, and the bat drags through the zone (tip of barrel behind the hands if viewed perpendicular to batter). By contrast, getting the barrel around the ball means the end of the bat is ahead of the hands at contact. The idea being that the upper body is still tightly connected to the core, and the hitter is maximizing his rotational speed. No one that I pay attention to would use that terminology.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "follow through the ball." Remember, all the baseball physicists have concluded that the bat has almost zero impact on the ball after the moment of contact. A powerful batter is not propelling the ball with his follow through after contact, it's all about the speed and mass of the bat at impact. Now getting the barrel in the zone and on plane with the pitch and keeping it there as long as possible is important, but I don't equate that with follow through.