Skip to main content

Reply to "your comments appreciated"

Matadordad...Wise words, Thanks for your insight.

We have a good friend who played at Georgia two years ago and is now with OPP's son in the Pirates organization. He was treated like a King at Georgia. New fielder's gloves, bats, shoes, batting gloves. Food after the games in the locker room.
Personal trainers. Tutors. Recognition. "Most" every player
pulling for their teammates. Freebies everywhere! It was better
than being at home--he didn't even have to take out the trash!

Signed and went to Williamsport for $800/month. Didn't understand half the players on the team. Had 5 players in one
apartment, slept sometimes in the bathtub. No A/C. 100% responsible for himself. Every player playing for themselves(can't blame them). Long bus rides. Long way from home.

You really have to be self-motivated to go right from high school and make it in the pros. And many do it. Our friend many
times questioned his decision to sign after his JUNIOR year in college. But last year he led the SAL(South Atlantic League) in
batting(over many first round picks-he was drafted in the 42nd round) and wasn't even a starter at the beginning of the year.
He is determined to succeed and I don't have any doubt that he will.

What a choice for a young kid in high school to have to make.
But as one father told me at the game the other night "Would you rather not be in that situation?" I think not.

Sorry for the rambling, but I think a lot of us are having these thoughts, it's good to see what others are feeling.

Moc1