Skip to main content

Reply to "your comments appreciated"

Baseonballs50,
I think this is one subject that should always be discussed. There is no right or wrong answer. There is no correct path to follow. Thanks for bringing it up.
quote:
I would like to hear thoughts and comments from those who have had to help their sons in making a decision to go to college or go pro. I don't need to hear the pros and cons. I was just wondering what factors made your sons choose the paths they did.

I really think you have to look at the pros and cons. Every player that makes that decision must weigh the pros and cons. The challenges, whether they are in college or the pros, will be the same for each player; the difference is simply how each player is equipped to handle those challenges. There are hundreds of variables that come into the equation. Academic ability, athletic ability, desire, maturity, money, economics, the list goes on and on.
With my son (and me) the key factors were maturity and the ability to keep as many options open as possible. Assuming he has the ability to play professionally, the professional option will likely remain open (and may improve) even though he opts for three to four years of college. Had he turned pro out of high school (he was drafted in the 5th round) his college option would have become more obscure. No, the college option would not disappear, but it would become more difficult to “start over” toward a degree if his professional baseball career faltered. Understand too, he would be starting in college knowing he would have to do so without ever playing college baseball.
The game of baseball is very important to my son. He will never play the game because of the money. He doesn’t play the game now because he has to play to maintain his baseball scholarship. He plays the game because. . . . . . . Well . . . . that’s just what he does.
Fungo

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Last edited {1}