Skip to main content

Reply to "Your (dad) coaching/instruction when you were in LL"

I played with a dominant LL team and it was awesome...  got tons of ice cream.  The two dads that coached happened to have sons who were the two of the best pitchers in the league.  Three (usually very quick) innings each.

Memory from that long ago is a bit fuzzy but I remember those coaches being really personable and having a good eye for what players to draft.  I really can't remember how much instruction or if it was any good or not.  We played so much pick-up baseball back then, I don't think there was much need for it.  I think this was mostly a big positive but I admit, I had to learn the actual mechanics of things (that I just did naturally) much later in life when I actually had to teach others how to...  The really colorful coaches came shortly after LL.

I do remember shakin' in my cleats quite a bit as a 8 1/2 yo facing that giant 12 yo, Frank Costello, who threw harder than God and didn't necessarily know where it was going.  I remember the other 12 yo's seriously looking like grown men to me back then.  A few years later, it was much different.

JBB, I had every player's stance and swing down pat from the Big Red Machine...  Rose, Bench, Morgan, Foster, Concepcion, Perez, Geronimo, Griffey Sr...   I sure as h$!! didn't use any of it against that S0B, Frank Costello, though.  I went with more of an Eddie Gaedel.

BTW, Dad was an amazing dad but never coached any of us six kids and didn't make it to many games.  Just didn't happen for most back in those days.

Last edited by cabbagedad