Skip to main content

Reply to "Your first MLB baseball game"

I will continue the Red Sox theme. My Dad grew up near Boston and we took regular trips up there to visit my non- English speaking Italian grandparents during summers when I was in grade school.  My first game was also a Red Sox game at Fenway. I’m guessing August of 1964 or 1965. I don’t remember the details of the game. But I do remember that we didn’t have tickets so my Dad made me wear my little league jersey & hat to the game. Tickets were sold at the gate back then and even tho the game was sold out some tickets were always held back, and my Dad somehow knew that. He paraded me up to the ticket window and pleaded his case that we had driven all the way from OKC to see the Red Sox. A kind-hearted ticket agent gave us some obstructed seat tickets at no cost. It was a struggle to see the game action but we were in Fenway Park so who cared! We made that trip for a few years in a row and always saw a Red Sox game. I saw Frank Howard hit one of the longest home runs I have ever seen over the green monster and was at the game when Tony Conigliaro got beaned. Have never heard a stadium full of people that quiet before or since.