Skip to main content

Reply to "Your first MLB baseball game"

Great Idea for a thread.

My first game was at DC Stadium, Kansas City Athletics vs. Washington Senators, possibly 1961. Tickets were through the Washington Post Knothole club or gang which offered minimally priced or free tickets for kids. My buddy's dad took us. Seems like all the games were against the A's. We went to a few games throughout the years have I scant and varied memories. 

For some reason we didn't like Jimmy Piersall and yelled at him to "go blow your nose"; probably the worst thing we could think of to say. An inning or so later when he returned to the outfield, he pulled a handkerchief out of his back pocket, blew his nose and shut us up.

Having attended Catholic school, I was stunned to see nuns at a game or two. Then there was a game where the kids received a full sized bat (maybe 30" or so). It was the perfect size to put a discarded Dixie Cup on the end and smashing it on the stadium floor with an echoing pop.

When cleaning out my mom's house after her death, I was surprised that someone found my favorite piece of clothing. It survived myself and some or all of my 9 brothers and sisters. It featured my favorite players, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris. 

IMG_20190629_160440946

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_20190629_160440946