Skip to main content

Reply to "Your first MLB game, your kid’s first MLB game"

1st game Shea Stadium in 1970.  Mets vs. Braves.  Aaron went deep and Mets won.  Will never forget coming out of the tunnel and seeing the field open up below (Upper Deck behind Home).  Most awesome thing I ever saw.  Best Hot dog I ever ate.

Fast forward 28 years.  Living in South Jersey.  Lousy Mets and Phillies hooking up in a great Sunday in early June.  Spend $125 to buy tickets in the waitress section of the Vet behind 1st base.  Get there for batting practice and my 6 and 4 year old are properly awed.  After two hitters deposit 10 balls in the bleachers my kids yell at me - WE WANT TO GO THERE!  pointing to the $5 per right field bleachers at the Vet.

We went out to the bleachers were Curt Shilling threw about 15 balls into the stands.  My kids talked about that for days and Curt became their favorite player for about a week.  After the game started we went back to the pricey seats - and spent 6 innings watching & talking about the Phanatic and ate about 15 hot dogs before we left sick to our stomachs. 

Another Awesome day at the yard.