Skip to main content

Reply to "Your Observations About Lingering Impact of COVID Period"

I had a 2022 family member go through it. Pretty typical. Had a good D1 offer before COVID. Was informed they were going in a different direction during the fall of his senior year. More related to transfers than 5th year guys in his case.

Obviously, the extra year(s), the transfer waiver, and the MLB Draft to a lesser extent... all combined to open many coaches' eyes to the benefit of scouting players with experience and/or a track record. That is the part that will linger (supported by the immediate transfer waiver).
IMO, baseball in general is a sport that is slow to change. There's a lot of "it's always been done this way for a reason" thinking. Many coaches who were used to recruiting and pursuing high school kids realized that transfers were a safer and often less expensive bet. I haven't looked for the stats, but I'm guessing that the number of transfers (juco and others) on D1 rosters took a jump during Covid and it won't go back to pre-Covid levels unless the transfer rules change again.