Skip to main content

Reply to "Your Observations About Lingering Impact of COVID Period"

@RJM posted:

The serious discussion to reduce the number of minor league teams started in 2019, before Covid.

The decision to reduce the draft to five rounds occurred in early May 2020. Obviously, it’s related to Covid. On the same day it was announced the drafted would be shortened permanently. Covid wasn’t an issue until they end of March. No way, no how MLB decided between March 20 and May 11 they were going to shorten the draft long term. It was probably discussed at the same time as reducing the number of minor league teams.

I think someone recently posted more current information than this. But, several years ago I knew the numbers to be 84% of drafted American players come from rounds 1-10. Another 10% come from rounds 11-20. Twenty rounds makes sense. Anyone drafted after round 20 is a long shot (6%) to make the majors. I’m guessing most of those 6% are pitchers who increased their velocity or control/command.

^ yep.

No-wait transfers were allowed before covid in certain sports. July 2021 was when no-wait went into effect for all sports.