Skip to main content

Reply to "Your Son's College Baseball Freshman Experience"

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? — He graduated from HS in 2018 and started college right away.

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else? — D1

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend? — He has graduated with a bachelors but is now doing a graduate degree.

If he switched schools, why did he switch? NA

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it? — More than we expected. RHP and started as a midweek guy and then got into relief for weekends. He was not asked to redshirt.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year? I don't know.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent? I think what surprised me the most was how little we knew about what was gong on. We expected a little more communication, but got none beyond game wrap ups and schedules. Here's the extent of personal communication freshman year — coach told son at Christmas that he was a "pleasant surprise." After his first collegiate win against a ranked team, coach said "that was better." Longest conversation I've had with a coach was last season when son gave up I think six home runs and got the win. Coach spent several minutes praising consistency and ability to compete and have confidence in the plan and his team even when the opponent was hitting the crap out of him.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?--Work your butt off. If your coach asks you to jump, don't ask how high. Jump as high as you can.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?--This is his fourth year.