Skip to main content

Reply to "Your Son's College Baseball Freshman Experience"

Now I can actually answer some of these questions.

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player? This year.

What level was he playing? Was at a D2 in the fall and transferred to a Juco for the spring.

Did he stay at that school through graduation? TBD. But, he's up to 2 schools now and it's going to be at least 3 if he wants a bachelor's.

If he switched schools, why did he switch?

My short answer is that it wasn't what he expected or wanted. The longer answer is that he didn't enjoy the campus and he wasn't thrilled with the area. (This is his feeling about it. Personally, I thought the area was great and the campus was a lot better than many others I have visited. But, to each their own.)

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?

This is a tough one. Had he stayed at the D2, I don't think he would have red shirted because they were thin at his position. But, like 10 other freshman there ended up getting red shirted. Would he have played much? I am thinking no because he had two juniors ahead of him at his position. The Juco? We will never know. He got injured in team preseason workouts and missed the entire season.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?

Surprise was definitely the acceptance that you're a piece of meat. Challenge was related. I think, being a player in a college program means that you better ready to eat a lot of sh*t, smile, and say "thank you sir, may I have another." And, if that's not in your DNA, you're going to not enjoy your time there.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?

I think I already answered these questions. As a parent, never saw it coming. If you would have told me that, on the one year anniversary of his signing his NLI, on that very day, I would be requesting his release from it, I would have said WTF? And, then, if you told me that he would get injured hitting off a tee in preseason and then miss the whole season, I wouldn't have believed it either. But, it's all true.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?

Hardly nothing goes as planned. And, the path is far from being a straight line.

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why? TBD. And, I'm not placing any bets.

Last edited by Francis7