Skip to main content

Reply to "Your Son's College Baseball Freshman Experience"

@Francis7 posted:

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?

*Last year (2021-2022)*

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?

*Juco*

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend?

*He will graduate with an AA after 4 total semesters*

If he switched schools, why did he switch?

*everyone in Juco is there to switch (obvious but important to the climate in a competitive Juco program)*

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?

*He got more playing time as the season progressed. In Feb he saw very little and by April he was playing regularly but not every game. He got enough AB’s to get a rhythm going (maybe 60). Also he played like eleventy five thousand innings of intersquad *

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?

*I can only speak to my perspective as a Dad; He would put it differently:

1. He dropped into a two-year process for which the only way out was a stretcher, getting cut, or his coach endorsing him to his next opportunity. There was no “one and done” scenario where he would find his great 4 year after 1 year.

2. It was [edited]. Second year has  not been that way, and I think that speaks to (my) expectations being reset and (his) resolve, and different team dynamics. He is very thankful for the experience.*

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?

*Fall was quite difficult, but by end of Spring we could see/appreciate where things were going for him. I would classify as “unexpected” vs missed expectations.*

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?

*Like Ron Washington’s character said in Hatteberg’s living room: “ITS INCREDIBLY  HARD.” Embrace that and things might just go easier than expected

This is a tough time from a mental health perspective. For any man going off to school, but in a special way for these boys. I don’t have any advice there besides to be aware, be a solid, and stay in touch with your son.*

Last edited by Long415