Skip to main content

Reply to "Your Son's College Baseball Freshman Experience"

I’ll try to get us back on topic
@Francis7 posted:

Anyone willing to answer some or all of the following questions?

How long ago was your son a college freshman baseball player?

Freshman this year

What level was he playing? Juco, D3, D2 or D1? Something else?

JUCO (FL)

Did he stay at that school through graduation? If not, how many different colleges did he attend?

Should have AA after 3 semesters.     2 yr commitment here, then hopefully off to somewhere he’s as happy

If he switched schools, why did he switch?

#JUCORoute

How much did your son play as a freshman? If he did not play, was he redshirted? If he was redshirted, when was he told about it?

Everyday starter with a few innings on the mound here and there. Leading team in several offensive stats.

What were the biggest surprises and challenges for your son freshman year?

In the beginning of the fall season it took a little time to get used to the physical grind and the quality of the pitching day in and day out. Once he did, he starting having more success and started rapidly climbing the lineup card.
It wasn’t really a surprise, because I’ve been watching this conference for a long time, but the number of scouts/recruiters in the fall is insane.
Looking ahead at the “recruiting out of JUCO” phase, has me in a weird place mentally. I know it’s driven by his JUCO coach, and we trust him… still just seems a little strange.

Overall, how was your son's experience as a freshman baseball player? Did it meet, surpass or miss his expectations? How about in regard to your expectations as a parent?

For my wife and I, it really couldn’t be going any better!    
For our son, he’s really enjoyed getting to know some high caliber players from around the country. He’s playing against some great competition, which he loves. He enjoys the coaches a lot also, which has been a big plus.

Based on your son's experience as a freshman baseball player and your's as the parent, what advice would you have for the freshman player and his parent?

He definitely made the right choice going JUCO!  Just this spring he’s had over 100 plate appearances so far. Find a place where there is a path to playing time.
1. Control what you can control!   2.When you get the chance to grab that bull by the horns, don’t you dare let it go!

Did your son complete 4 years of college baseball eligibility? If not, why?

TBD