Skip to main content

Reply to "Your thoughts are needed"

This is a very difficult situation, especially because you need to consider the team dynamic and what the reprocussions may be if your son decides to go to the coaches. If it were me, I would definetly NOT be calling the coaches myself right now. I believe one of the important aspects of a college education is what you learn OUTSIDE of the classroom....and one of those lessons is dealing with uncomfortable and unpleasant situations. If it were my son, and he came to me for advice, I would first tell him to try to distance himself from his room mates as much as he can. Basically, try to be away from those guys as much as he can...study halls, library, classes, socializing with other members of the team, extra work in the batting cages, etc. If he can do that, I think his room mate's behavior will ultimately resolve the situation on its own (ie, academic ineligibility). If he feels he needs to talk to someone about the situation, I think I would first advise him to go to an upperclassman team mate with the situation. Is this drinking and partying a "team" problem? Or a "room mate" problem? If it is a "room mate" problem, perhaps some upperclass leaders can lean on those guys with some pressure to conform to team rules. I would think new freshman would succomb pretty easily if some of the respected upperclass players laid into them. Alot of times, many of these problems can take care of themselves without getting the coach involved. However, if all else fails.....I would ultimately have your son talk to the coach about the situation. JMO. Good luck, let us know what you decide and how it goes!