Skip to main content

Reply to "Youth Baseball Affiliation"

quote:
Originally posted by Wklink:
quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump:
I am a big supporter of PONY baseball.....its the right combination of age appropriate rules and field dimensions.....

Son has played Pony since he was 8 years old.

My only gripe with it is with the stealing rules. I'm all for lead offs and steals but at the Mustang level (8-10) it is a little silly. Most pitchers have a hard enough time getting the ball over the plate. Figurin gout how to pitch from the stretch and holding runners is very hard.

I found that about 80% of the time the kid on first base would run to second without a throw.

Other than that I have been very happy with it.

I'm sure others have great opinions of LL, Cal Ripken and others.

Again this is why I feel PONY has the edge...they give the individual league the right to tailor regular season play.

Local Mustang league can pick one of 3 options...

MUSTANG leagues shall adopt one of the following three optional rules for league play.

RULE (1) SHALL GOVERN ALL MUSTANG LEAGUE TOURNAMENT
PLAY.

(1)Runners may lead-off and steal bases, as in Official Baseball Rules.

(2) Runners at first and second bases may lead off and steal bases, as in Official Baseball Rules, but runners at third base shall remain in contact with the base from the time the pitcher steps on the rubber with possession of the ball until the pitched ball has been hit or has reached or passed the batter. Once the pitcher has stepped on the
rubber, in possession of the ball, runners at third base who leave base before the pitched ball reaches or passes the batter shall be called out and the pitch shall be considered as a dead ball.

(3) Runners may steal bases, but shall not leave the base they are occupying at the time of the pitch until the pitched ball has reached or passed the catcher. Once the pitcher has stepped on the rubber with possession of the ball, runners who leave base before the pitched ball reaches or passes the catcher shall be called out and the pitch shall be considered as a dead ball.
Last edited by piaa_ump