Skip to main content

Reply to "Update to: zero, zilch, nada"

DBAT-DFW posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Some questions...  you say he played for a high level travel team.  What do the travel coaches say about his recruitment status?  What has been his recruiting strategy as far as contacting and getting in front of his target schools?  What kind of dialog has he had with schools?  What level has he primarily targeted?  Aside from travel coaches, does he have any hitting instructors or others who are qualified connected mentors?

You say LHP - does he hit lefty as well?  You say leading offensive numbers and strong - does he hit for power against top pitching or mostly for average?  Does he strike out a lot?  Does he rate high from a character/teammate standpoint?  If you had to make your best educated guess, what would it be as to why no interest from schools?  

He loves his travel coach.  Great relationship.  He has targeted mainly D2 schools.  He has had the same hitting instructor since 12, and they also have a great relationship.  He does hit lefty as well.  As for stats, I have included them so far (for now) for the 2020 season.  These are not my stats, they are from the team.  As for your last question, I would say he has not been aggressive in touting himself.  He thinks that is self-serving and is not comfortable talking about himself.

OK good.  So, a part of where I was going with the coaches and instructors was not so much how good the relationship is between player and coach but how connected they are and what efforts they were making to contact schools on your son's behalf (or at least be a strong reference for those schools your son is contacting).  What are those coaches/instructors saying about his lack of receiving interest?  Is he contacting mostly in-state and adjacent D2's where they would likely be familiar with him and able to come watch him play or is he relying on sending videos?  Does he have any specific majors in mind or otherwise prefer to go out of his home region?  Is he opposed to going away from home?  

He definitely has the tools to play somewhere.  I will say it can be much more difficult for an OF to be recruited or even get much attention.  So, all the more reason he needs to be proactive with his recruiting approach and really utilize his resources (travel coach/instructor/other).  That said, he sure seems to check a lot of boxes.  

Last edited by cabbagedad