Skip to main content

Jason Kipnis - 4th round - #135 SD Padres
Glenbrook North HS - Arizona State University

Great success story of a kid who never played on any full time travel teams. Played on the travel team from Northbrook that played in the North Shore League that only started playing after the house league season was over. After that played for the Northbrook Braves Legion team. May be a a rarity but it shows that you don't necessarily have to do all the big time travel team stuff to make it (or get drafted anyway).

Good luck Jason!!
Ever since the Ridge played Whitney Young that one rainy day in April, I have followed and supported the Dolphins team and program. i think it's cool that two players from the same HS team got drafted in one year, Kenner and White. I will tell you one thing, these two will play professional baseball one day, whether it's in a month or two if they sign, or in two or three years, I don't know, but you'll see them in the minors soon enough. If I was Kenner, I'm going to Long Island for three seasons and get more experience at SS. If I was White, dpending on the $ amount, it's Oakton for one or two years and then pro ball. Does anyone knwo what these two are probably gonna do within the next month or two, or plain speaking, are they going to sign or not?
Last edited by fvcfan08
Young had a stacked deck this year with two MLB draft picks and a deep bench. The State Tournament finish for this 29-5 team was disappointing.

Hats off to Oak Park for contending for the state championship and to Prairie Ridge for getting the job done. Despite the loss, to Prarie Ridge, Oak Park's Jo Jo Moldonado is quite a player and he will undoubtedly be a high future draft pick next year. I have watched this kid play since age 10 and he is the real deal. His game in playoff situations goes to another level and his bat and glove spelled doom for Young in its Sectional Game playoff loss and also ended the dreams for several other teams in the tournament as well. Young had the early lead in the game against Oak Park, but Jo Jo got the offense started and it was 9 unanswered Oak Park runs in the late innings that bounced the Dolphins out of the state playoff tournament. Too bad.

The loss to Prairie Ridge early in the season was another heartbreaker for Young.

No predictions on Kenner or White. I will predict however that Young will be back strong next year and will win a third City Championship and will once again contend for state. A lot of talent remains at Young to have one more run at a state title. Last year Young lost in the Super Sectional to St. Rita in a heartbreaker. This years loss to Oak Park was a stunner.

Maybe next year will be our year.
Last edited by Dolphin Mom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.