Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Go Jacks son has had a very positive experience so far but he has commented on more than one occasion that the baseball work load is much heavier than he expected. His coach and parents told him about this while he was being recruited but of course they never believe you. Son is a catcher so he has a full bullpen schedule to go along with the lifting/running, hitting and position practices. Most of the times when we talk to him he is either on his way to or just coming from a workout.

He did pretty well academically the first semester but he will have to bear down even more this semester since they will be on the road so much. He goes to a northern school and the first half of the season is nearly all away games.

We have noticed however, that according to his facebook page, he has still found time to get in some social activities. I guess he is learning some valuable time management skills.
Lots and lots and lots of conditioning, which he likes a lot less than games. He is definitely looking forward to the season beginning.

Absolutely loves his coaches. (Also likes the fact that there is no 6 a.m. weightlifting or running! Wink)

Made a lot of headway with hitting progress this fall and is expected to back up an experienced infielder. Not sure which position yet; was told at exit meeting that he can play 2B, SS, or 3B.

Did fairly well with grades in fall, thanks to mandatory study halls and grade checks. Took 16 hours in fall, but only 12 in spring due to busy schedule.
Last edited by Infield08
PS III had a good fall. He will have opportunities to contribute as a pitcher and a position player -- mostly during the weekday games. He won't start as a freshman...and that's ok. He needs to continue to get stronger and to work on his hitting. He loves the school, the coaches, and the team. The weather??? Well, it ain't Texas.

He is like others during this phase of life -- calls home seldom, spends whatever money he has access to, and would rather play baseball than study. We're proud of him no matter what.

80 for 20 doesn't seem "normal" to me.
quote:
Originally posted by Infield08:
quote:
The weather??? Well, it ain't Texas

I had to laugh at that quote, as IF08 son says North Texas weather definitely ain't like the Texas Hill Country. He called this morning and said there's a half-inch of ice on the ground. Yikes!

Infield08,

You are not allowed to complain about the weather unless your son is going to a school that is located more than 600 miles north of you. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
GoJacks! --- I just want to know how you got on your son's facebook page? Mine won't accept my invitation to be his friend. Frown

It's called trade-off.

Son: Mom will you make steak for dinner tonight?

Mom: No, not until you accept me as your friend on facebook.

Son: Mom can I borrow some money to take cutie pie to the movie?

Mom: No, not until you accept me as your friend on facebook.

It works!
I know 2 McKinney boys who can't wait to play a little baseball. But then, they can't wait to do anything that gets them off the Academy grounds. Since Baker won't post, I will say Alex has put on 16lbs of muscle, throwing 90 and looks like a totally different kid. I guess 3 squares, 2hrs of military training and hours of baseball will do that. My little one seems to be doing fine as well.

Kirk, I believe we have the right to mention weather. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Robert S.:
I know 2 McKinney boys who can't wait to play a little baseball. But then, they can't wait to do anything that gets them off the Academy grounds. Since Baker won't post, I will say Alex has put on 16lbs of muscle, throwing 90 and looks like a totally different kid. I guess 3 squares, 2hrs of military training and hours of baseball will do that. My little one seems to be doing fine as well.

Kirk, I believe we have the right to mention weather. Big Grin

Is the Academy 600 miles north of McKinney?
Not trying to one up anyone but do a mapquest for distance and direction to Brookings South Dakota. It's gotten to the point where Go Jacks son doesn't even complain anymore if the temperature is above zero. He has had the unique experience of having to scrape ice from the INSIDE of his truck windshield before he could drive it. Come February, I don't think a game time temperature of 38 degrees in Kentucky or Arkansas is going to bother him too much.
OPSon had a great fall season.

Had a 3.3...much better than mom and I ever dreamed of.

UL-Lafayette plays a best of 5 World Series in the fall instead of playing against other teams from around the state. He got to throw 2 innings in game one and did OK. Game 2...nothing, Game 3...nothing, Game 4...nothing again! He was not a happy camper! The seniors are actually the coaches of the games during the fall, so he was not liking seniors at this time! Anyway, they told him the morning of Game 5 that he would be starting it for his team! He had a great outing going 5 innings, allowing only 1 run on 4 hits and they won the fall championship 7-1. The losing team has to serve the winners a steak dinner and all they eat is soup or something like that. He said he enjoyed that steak a little more than usual! I think he gained a lot of confidence from that outing. Patience Dear Watson!!

I couldn't get over how much bigger his legs were when he came home for Christmas from all the weight training he's doing.

Coach doesn't allow any facial hair, which he hates! Mom and I love that part.

He broke up with his girlfriend...

He has 6am workouts this semester and a 7:30 class, so he's up and at'em pretty early.

He called me the morning of the first workout this January and told me he thought he broke his thumb (of course it was his throwing hand). They x-rayed it and there was no break. He was back throwing a couple of days later with no pain and is fine now.

He throws to live batters Friday, so things are well on their way. He doesn't have a good feel for where he stands right now as far as starting or relieving. He was told by the coach to expect at least 90 innings this year, so my guess is they will be using him quite a bit.

We're just real proud of how he's doing in school and in baseball.

We can't wait for opening weekend against Nebraska and neither can he.
Last edited by Old Pitcher
Natural, Go Jacks mom has two sure fire ways to get access to son's facebook. Control whether or not money gets into his bank account and be accepted as a friend on his girlfriend's facebook page. The girlfriend method is the most effective.

Son has been told he will get games behind the plate on weekdays and a chance on weekends too. He will also get a shot at DH. They play 4 game conference sets so he is likely to get an opportunity with the Saturday doubleheader. The #1 catcher is a three year stater and team leading hitter so son knows that this year is all about preparing for the future opportunity.
quote:
Originally posted by CoachTraub:
Obrady,

Did you know about the 80 for 20 thing? I'm not accusing you, because I don't think this is an unusual occurence. If you didn't and could share the reason why not, I think many could benefit from that experience.

The coach said he brought in extras but he indicated in was 12 to 24, not 80. The same was told to a couple of others who post here.
Our fall did not go as well as hoped.
When he got a chance he did really well, but the
chances were only during inner squad games.
He hated the cold, yes it is only 200 miles north
and still in Texas, but he was not ready for
the panhandle weather at all!!
Since he was to be red shirted this spring he decided to come home, go to local JUCO for the spring and try to get on with a local college in the fall. If that is unsuccessful, then it is on with life after baseball.
He was in the same boat as obrady's son, the coach
over recruited we were told maybe 25 or so recruits for the fall. What he did not say was it was really 80 and 25 of them were 23-25 year old out of country athletes.
So it was rough but he learned alot about life if nothing else.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Old Pitcher:
OPSon had a great fall season.

He said he enjoyed that steak a little more than usual! I think he gained a lot of confidence from that outing. Patience Dear Watson!!

OBrady - that's horrible! Do you think the coach was intentionally deceitful (lying)? It sure sounds like it. Obviously, some JuCos use athletics to fill the dorms, and meeting a quote is a part of the job requirement of the baseball coach. This is a rough part of the job, but it's something they signed up for when accepting the position and it could and should be handled with integrity.
Coach T, I don't know how to answer that question. He did say that many kids do not like small town life and that a number of the kids he recruits leave for that reason. Nearly everyone I heard of got a scholorship (book money, which isn't really a scholorship, they just loan out used books to the players that have to be returned). I asked this question in the recruiting section early last fall and it seems to be very common, this number is a little large, but still very common. I'd venture a guess that enrollment in this small school drops by 25 to 30 percent in the spring from all the baseball players that do not return.
Last edited by obrady
I have had the fortune to ump at a couple of levels over the years. Juco being one and my take is as follows:

JUCOs need students and they approach like many other businesses do. To supplement their local tax subsidies they have created many different programs to get kids. The steady growth of JC/CC baseball programs is one of the methods. Some, as has been mentioned give book money, others actually have "full-rides" and the most alarming are the ones that qualify players based on their ability to get PELL GRANTS. You can sometimes tell these schools by the number of teams they field..."Gold Team, Red Team, Freshman, etc....it is a numbers game.

The practice of "overbooking" a team (80 trying for 24 spots) is a travesty in that it preys upon kids and their willingness to pursue a dream.Now I am not trashing all JUCO programs...like everything else in life, "a few bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch"

If you are looking at a JC/CC as a possible path, do your homework, make sure it is a place that fits your kid and always ask a lot of "point blank" questions before committing.

Sometimes, the better decision is to find a 4yr school that your son (or daughter) would like attending, regardless of playing athletics, and walking on. With the 4yr guys adjusting to the new roster/scholarship limits, a roster spot can sometimes be gotten.
I have 2 sons, both were lucky enough to play college baseball. One went the JC route and one the 4 year. I understand why JC recruit many more than 25 kids (I understand 80 is ridiculous). Most JC's are in isolated town not near big cities (Paris / Panola / Ranger/ ...) They will lose kids just because there is not much to do but play baseball. They lose kids who don't want to go to class and they lose kids because their girlfriends are at UT, A&M or some other University not near where they are. It is the nature of JC baseball.

The best way to find out what the experience will be like is to talk to players who have played for the coach / school and find out what type of experience they had. Nothing is perfect, kids leave UT and Oklahoma because of playing time, too big, too liberal, whatever.

My opinion is you are lucky when you find a situation that is right for your son and if the situation is not right, there is nothing wrong with transferring to another school.
FBM son is doing well so far. During the fall he had plenty of opportunity on the mound to get in innings. He did pretty good. Grades could have been a little higher (couldn't they always . . .) but they were not bad for 16 hours - schedule in the fall contained no electives. He, like many from his high school took a mini-mester over the holidays. He is one hour and 15 minutes from home - or should I say the girlfriend - so he comes to town frequently. First game is next Friday - can't wait.
FBM
I am not an 08 parent but a very proud older brother. My youngest brother's story is pretty cool so I thought I would share. My brother is very much a late bloomer. He started his freshman year at 5'5" and was still only about 5"8" during his junior season. He was a Pitcher and Utility guy. He played on the JV during his junior year of H.S. He played at Arl. Lamar and was looked at by many to be an average player at best. Did play some select ball with A's and Stix and always did really well during the Summer when given a chance to pitch. The knock on him was always, you don't throw hard enough to be a Varsity Pitcher. Senior year rolls around and he has grown to 6'2". Pitched very well his senior year as a long reliever and spot starter. Still didn't get many looks. I helped him with some recruiting and East Texas Baptist gave him a chance. Pitched okay in the Fall but nothing spectacular. After Christmas break things began to click for him. Started to throw a little harder. Is now standing 6'4" and just made the Traveling roster as a Freshman where only a handful of other freshman made it. My point is, he never gave up on baseball and finally his time has come and he is having a little bit of success. I know it is D3 baseball but it is still BASEBALL.
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
I am not an 08 parent but a very proud older brother. My youngest brother's story is pretty cool so I thought I would share. My brother is very much a late bloomer. He started his freshman year at 5'5" and was still only about 5"8" during his junior season. He was a Pitcher and Utility guy. He played on the JV during his junior year of H.S. He played at Arl. Lamar and was looked at by many to be an average player at best. Did play some select ball with A's and Stix and always did really well during the Summer when given a chance to pitch. The knock on him was always, you don't throw hard enough to be a Varsity Pitcher. Senior year rolls around and he has grown to 6'2". Pitched very well his senior year as a long reliever and spot starter. Still didn't get many looks. I helped him with some recruiting and East Texas Baptist gave him a chance. Pitched okay in the Fall but nothing spectacular. After Christmas break things began to click for him. Started to throw a little harder. Is now standing 6'4" and just made the Traveling roster as a Freshman where only a handful of other freshman made it. My point is, he never gave up on baseball and finally his time has come and he is having a little bit of success. I know it is D3 baseball but it is still BASEBALL.

That is a wonderful story!
Kind of two threads here... both great. Congrats to the guys doing well, and their supportive families!

Re: JuCo recruiting: I did it for many years, and I believe in over-recruiting at that level, if you want to call it that. 35-40 guys at the beginning of the fall, because you need competition for spring spots and playing time, and will likely lose some guys to grades (despite supervised study halls), homesickness, surprise by high work ethic expectations, etc. etc. Here's my problem: some coaches have quotas of over 45 guys. To meet that, they prey upon the "dream" to play college baseball to fill dorms. Even that is okay, I suppose, as long as they are not deceitful. A couple who probably are deceitful might argue that they don't lie, and if the parents and student-athletes aren't asking the right questions, then both parties are at fault. Obrady obviously tried to ask the right questions, and it seems to me that in this example, the coach was not forthright-- and therefore deserves to be publicly criticized/others warned of this problem.
Drew had a really good fall while having the third best ERA on his team as a freshman. Grades could have been A LOT better but he has a new point of view on grades after I found out what they were. Typical freshman BS really.

Has made four relief appearances so far with all of them coming in with the bases loaded. Three times with no outs. I feel he's done pretty well and is getting a lot of ground balls just like he did in high school. The only difference is the college coaches idea of a well pitched game is strike outs. And that is not what Drew is. He'll take them when he can get them but he's always been a location guy and lets his defense work. So the jury is still out on what his role will be. He definitly not having as much fun playing in college as he did in high school. He says, in college, there are more "individuals" than team players. He says that is the toughest part for him. I hope he sticks with it though because when you get to this point your baseball life is real short.
quote:
Originally posted by CoachTraub:
Kind of two threads here... both great. Congrats to the guys doing well, and their supportive families!

Re: JuCo recruiting: I did it for many years, and I believe in over-recruiting at that level, if you want to call it that. 35-40 guys at the beginning of the fall, because you need competition for spring spots and playing time, and will likely lose some guys to grades (despite supervised study halls), homesickness, surprise by high work ethic expectations, etc. etc. Here's my problem: some coaches have quotas of over 45 guys. To meet that, they prey upon the "dream" to play college baseball to fill dorms. Even that is okay, I suppose, as long as they are not deceitful. A couple who probably are deceitful might argue that they don't lie, and if the parents and student-athletes aren't asking the right questions, then both parties are at fault. Obrady obviously tried to ask the right questions, and it seems to me that in this example, the coach was not forthright-- and therefore deserves to be publicly criticized/others warned of this problem.

Though our experience last year with recruiting, most, not all, the college recruiters only tell you what sounds good at the time. I lost a ton of respect for collge recruiters because of this. I always describe them as a shady used car salesman.
Smart Son's story is like a few others here. Was told by coach coming into fall workouts that he would get every chance to show what he could do during the 4 week fall workouts. He knew there were two returners ahead of him, so he went in with expectations of limited field time, hoping to pinch hit/DH on occasion (hitting has always been his stongest tool) and hamdling bullpen catching duties.

Fall workouts started and he got no chance at all. There were probably 18-20 intersquad games during the session and he saw field time in 4! The last two (during the last week of workouts) he came to the plate 5 times, hit a single, two doubles, a triple and a homer! Yep, 5-5. He also threw out three runners trying to steal. Pretty good showing, if you ask me.

During individual meetings the next week, coach told him he saw no chance that Smart Son would ever see the field this season. He might get to suit up for a home game or two, but nothing beyond that - except 5:45 am workouts every morning, afternoon bullpen sessions and hitting, etc.

Not really where he wanted to be. He's now back at home, going to a local junior college and trying to decide what he wants to do next year. Who knows at this point. I hate to see him "give it up" but it looks more and more like that's what's coming. Hate to think I've seen him play his last!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.