Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It covers the basics. Better than most generic lists you'll find online. I would disagree with 6 and 7 (money grab). Focus on whatever you want to focus on. Some kids only want big D1 schools, some want a smaller more academic oriented college experience with baseball as an added bonus. 

In 2019s case, he wanted a big public school with good sports programs. Wanted to be able to tailgate, go to basketball games, social aspect, etc. He made a list of about 20 schools he was good enough to play at. After we eliminated the straight party schools. His travel coach contacted all on the list and he began the process with the schools interested. Said if he wasn't good enough to get an offer from one of the schools on his list he wasn't going pro anyway. These are schools he would've been applying to with/without baseball. Sure enough, he got an offer from one of the schools and is committed there now.

But I don't buy into the whole cast a big net. Find out what types of schools your son is interested in and go from there. I see parents coming up with lists of 100 colleges ranging from D1s with 30k students to D3s with 2500. Drastically different. Visit some local schools, see what he likes and dislikes on a college campus, see what his academic interests are, where his game stacks up, and go from there. 

Last edited by PABaseball

The list is OK.  It's just the same very basic top level "recruiting for dummies" list that you see in a thousand other places, steered at no one in particular.  Francis, having seen you actively engaged with questions here in recent months, I would be surprised if any of these points are something you don't already know.  Would that be correct?

cabbagedad posted:

The list is OK.  It's just the same very basic top level "recruiting for dummies" list that you see in a thousand other places, steered at no one in particular.  Francis, having seen you actively engaged with questions here in recent months, I would be surprised if any of these points are something you don't already know.  Would that be correct?

It was all stuff that I heard before in various forms - but, I don't recall seeing it all together in once place.

Most colleges are  regional when it comes to their alumni base as well as their baseball recruiting. There are very few "national brands" in higher education, especially among smaller colleges. Parents should go into LinkedIn for any school that their son is considering to view its alumni profile and learn where the largest groups of alumni live and work. Anyone who attends college will be an alumnus of their school far longer than they will be a student.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.