Skip to main content

Well, it's starting to hit home.  10 games left in what started out as a 2 year old sleeping with a baseball bat 20 years ago.   Son's team is likely going to miss the conference tournament again, so the next 3 weekends of the regular season....and it's over.   The way this season is ending up, I think he's ready for the year to be over (again), but not sure he's realizing that 2 weeks from tomorrow is likely going to be the last time he steps on a field.   On the plus side, he is taking a couple months off after the season (and graduation) to be an assistant coach for the college summer league team he's played for the past 3 years.....and a couple days ago, got a call from a friend of mine, who's known my son for quite a while asking him to apply for a GA position with an NAIA program that he runs.  Coach and free Masters tuition.   Son initially wasn't thrilled with the idea of another year of school, but as of yesterday he's leaning toward applying for the position.  Kind of excited to think that this may lead to a career in baseball (or another sport).  I think the prospect of sitting in an office (with his marketing degree) isn't thrilling him lol

Anybody have any ideas for a new summer hobby for a 51 year old who hasn't done much of anything other than baseball for the past 15 summers? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Start with HGTV and/or the Food network.  Move on to home projects and learning or perfecting how to cook.  A smoker ^^ seems like a great investment!

Catching up on reading.

A long timer on here posted beautiful vertical gardens he was doing.  I have kept that filed away to do someday.  You may can search on the site for similar posts.

As for exercise: biking!

noumpere posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Anybody have any ideas for a new summer hobby for a 51 year old who hasn't done much of anything other than baseball for the past 15 summers? 

I'm sure there's room for a new umpire in your area.  It's a hobby that pays you, instead of a hobby you need to pay to do.

Lol....not a chance    After watching 4 years of college baseball I now have absolutely no idea what is or isn't a strike

keewart posted:

Start with HGTV and/or the Food network.  Move on to home projects and learning or perfecting how to cook.  A smoker ^^ seems like a great investment!

Catching up on reading.

A long timer on here posted beautiful vertical gardens he was doing.  I have kept that filed away to do someday.  You may can search on the site for similar posts.

As for exercise: biking!

I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren.  Hopefully one will want to play ball one day soon.

That said, there is a gentle tug on the heart when I drive by a field with a game in process.   Takes me back real quick.

Buckeye2015

Congrats to you and your family.  So, I've been on the other side of "the college baseball fence" since 2014 and I have to admit there is so much to do.  As keewart suggests take on some home projects and learn to cook.   My wife and I dove headfirst into remodeling our house, and I'm so glad we did.  We spent months painting & remodeling our kitchen, family room, upstairs master bedroom and bathroom, downstairs master bathroom, laundry room and powder rooms.  We bought a Komodo grill and been grilling and having friends over much more often than in the past now that the kids are gone (one married last weekend, one engaged last week and youngest graduating next week).  

We make a point to see a new part of the world every year through our planned hiking or tennis trips.  I'm playing more tennis and golf than ever before and actually teaching some neighborhood kids how to play tennis...paying it back when I was introduced to the game 50+ years ago.  These are the things my wife and I do, but I haven't mentioned all the things my sons are into which they bring us along for the ride.   There is so much to do after college baseball is done, and your kids have graduated college.  Pat yourself on the back for a parenting job well done, and look back at all the things you wanted to do when you were single or just married and didn't have the time or money for.   That is a great list of things to start with.

Again, many congrats! 

Last edited by fenwaysouth

When I created the "Area Code" games in 1987, there was zero showcases. Our Goodwill Series International events [1983-2019] received the "blessing" of the pro scouts and the scouts became my advisors.

Maybe you can discuss with College Coaches, Pro scouts, parents and players their predictions on the next 10 years.  You now have the opportunity to be creative.

Bob

Quick update....Senior day was Saturday....and one more weekend to go.  At Senior day, son gave me a baseball and on it was written.....

Dad,

Thanks for throwing me 1000's of BP pitches....and taking a bunch of pitches off your shins....you made me the player I am today.

I told him thanks....I loved it, but it did make my shins hurt just thinking about it.  Any of you who were the dad of a pitcher will know what I'm talking about

Sunday evening standing on the path next to the field, in the rain that hadn't relented once in hours, turf was the only reason the game was able to be played and even then only because there was no choice. I stood next the parent of freshman who watched the victorious team celebrate take some picks and move to the bus...the parent wondered out loud why our boys were still in the outfield taking so long to come back to the dugout and get out. I looked that parent and said they have been together 6 days a week since January and over 6 hours today, there are 12 young men who are never going to wear that uniform again and if they want or need a few minutes I don't think we have anywhere to be so important that we can't wait. There was pause and the parent says "fair enough, didn't think about it that way" maybe next year he has a similar conversation with a new freshman parent. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.