Skip to main content

2015 LHP, committed to a D1 school, recently contacted by a national athlete representation company (advisor) concerning the draft and (although early) developing a relationship. If anyone has any experience with this, insight of any kind would be greatly appreciated...is it worth building the relationship and pursuing?

2019 LHP

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've had 2 sons play college baseball and one in MLB.  We went through this with the older one.  Its an area in which I do not feel I can give any advice other than please realize this is strictly a business relationship...nothing more.  Treat the prospective advisers as business partners in every way and I think you'll get the most out of it.

Good luck!

I'm not an expertand the rules can be a bit tricky.  My son is a D1 player and his University has an NCAA Compliance Officer.  Guidelines were sent to the players about the use of advisors, agents, etc.  I would strongly recommend that your son contact the NCAA Compliance Officer at his school before speaking with the advisor further.  I do know that there are certain restrictions on verbal committments in some instances.  Without knowing the exact details, I think I'll just shut up now!

If it is a reputable company they will do whatever it takes not to compromise yours son's eligibility.

There is no harm in speaking with anyone, but do contact the NCAA and ask for a brochure (or the guidance counselor) as to dealing with advisor/agents.

I agree with JB, this is a business relationship and there are certain things allowed and not allowed in that relationship.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.